In my post on this week's ALDI shopping trip, I mentioned decision fatigue - that according to studies, people have a limited capacity of making decisions, which can be exhausted quickly. This is one reason to shop early in the morning and to not shop while you're hungry; being tired and hungry can cause your decision-making process to be exhausted, leaving you vulnerable to impulse purchases.
This is also a good reason for you to plan your couponing the day before you shop. If you cut your coupons and make your plan before you head to the store, you've already made lots of decisions about what to buy and what not to buy. That can cause you to not follow your plan - and what's the point of making the plan if you're not going to follow it?
So try to do your shopping planning the day before you go shopping - and try to do it early if you can!
This week at Publix, I was able to get two moneymakers, which is rare for me since I live in no-double-coupons land, and Publix prices in South Florida are higher than Publix prices in other areas. But for Quaker granola bars and Suave deodorant, I was able to combine Target store coupons with manufacturer's coupons and get the items for free. I love free!
Here's what I got on this week's Publix trip:
4 Post Great Grains cereal @ BOGO $4.29 = $8.58
- 2 $1.00 off TWO Great Grains cereals
= $6.58 for four, or $1.64 each
4 Keebler Cinnamon Roll cookies @ $2.50 = $10.00
- 4 $0.55/1 Keebler Cinnamon Roll Cookies manufacturer's coupon, exp. 9/23/12 (RP 07/29/12 #2)
- 4 $0.75/1 Keebler Cookie Pack Target store coupon, exp. 9/23/12 (RP 07/29/12 #2, Target)
= $4.80 for four, or $1.20 each
4 Quaker granola bars @ BOGO $2.99 = $5.98
- 2 $1/2 Quaker Products printable
- 4 $1/1 Quaker Breakfast or Snack Item Target printable
= 2¢ moneymaker
2 Suave deodorant @ BOGO $1.99
- 2 $0.50/1 Suave Deodorant Product, exp. 8/26/12 (RP 07/29/12 R)
- 2 $0.50/1 Suave Deodorant Target printable
= 1¢ moneymaker
2 Daisy sour cream @ BOGO $2.29
- $2 off $25 Doris Italian Market coupon (Recyclebank)
Total before tax: $11.64
Total out of pocket: $11.70
Total saved compared to Publix full prices: $40.00
(This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.)