I live in South Florida, land of no basements. And oh, how I wish I had a basement!
If you're lucky enough to have a basement and want to remodel it, here are some ideas:
- Try to do as much of the work yourself, if possible. Draft some friends to help out. You may want to leave technical work like electrical and plumbing work to the experts, though.
- Check renovation websites and blogs, as well as YouTube videos, for ideas and techniques
- Look for inexpensive materials from friends and from places like the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, if you have one in your area.
- Speaking of Habitat for Humanity, that's a great place to get experience on learning how to work on homes, from what I've heard. I'd definitely love to volunteer there one day.
- If you do get a contractor to do the work for you, be sure to get many bids. Get personal references with friends. Look on the web and check their websites - if you're in Raleigh, NC, you can do a search for "basement remodeling raleigh nc". Be sure to ask what is included in the bid.
(This is a sponsored post on behalf of Raleigh Remodeling Company. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.)